For a lifetime of Dental Care

NHS Scotland Complaints Procedure

NHS Grampian is committed to providing high quality care and treatment to people in our communities through the delivery of safe, effective and person-centred care.  We understand, however, that sometimes things go wrong. If you are dissatisfied with something we have done, or have not done, please tell us and we will do our best to put things right.  If we cannot resolve matters in the way you want, we will explain why it’s not possible to do as you suggest. 

This page tells you about our complaints procedure and how to make a complaint.  It includes information about what you can expect from us when we are dealing with your complaint.

What is a complaint?

We regard a complaint as:

Any expression of dissatisfaction about our action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by us or on our behalf. 

If you need to complain about something, we encourage you to do so. We also understand that your complaint may involve more than one NHS body or service, or relate to both health and social care services, or it may be about someone working on our behalf. Our complaints procedure covers all of these possibilities.

Who can complain?

Anyone can make a complaint to us.  You can complain directly to us, or if you would rather have someone make the complaint on your behalf, we can deal with your representative. This could be a relative, a carer, a friend or any other person that you choose.  We can also give you information about advocacy services, and about the Patient Advice and Support Service, which can help you to make your complaint.  If you agree to someone making the complaint on your behalf, it is important for you to know that we will need to ask for your permission for us to deal with that person.

What can I complain about?

You can complain about things like:

We realise that it is not possible to list everything that you can complain about.  If you want to complain about something that we have not listed above, we encourage you to do so. 

What can’t I complain about?

There are some things we cannot deal with through our complaints handling procedure.  These include:

We also realise that it is not possible to list everything that you cannot complain about.  If other procedures can help you resolve your concerns, we will give information and advice to help you.

How do I complain?

You can complain in person at the place where you have received care, treatment or advice, or where the incident that you want to complain about happened.

Practice Manager – Helen Hutcheson

Principal Dentist – John Hutcheson

You can also complain by phone, in writing or by email at: Rosemount Dental Clinic, 230 Rosemount Place, Aberdeen, AB25 2XT – 01224 645247 or

NHS Grampian Feedback Service 
Summerfield House 
2 Eday Road 
AB15 6RE

Tel: 0345 337 6338


Wherever possible we encourage you to speak with a member of staff.  It’s easier for us to resolve complaints if you make them quickly and directly to the service concerned.  So please talk to a member of our staff at the service you are complaining about.  They will always try to resolve any problems on the spot if it is possible to do so.

When complaining, please tell us:

Giving us this information will help us to clearly identify the problem and what we need to do to resolve matters.

How long do I have to make a complaint?

Normally, you must make your complaint within six months of:

In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a complaint after the time limit.  If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.  If we decide that, because of the time that has passed since the incident occurred, we cannot consider your complaint, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to review our decision.

What happens when I have complained?

We will always tell you who is dealing with your complaint.  Our complaints procedure has two stages:

Stage one – early, local resolution

We aim to resolve complaints quickly and close to where we provided the service.  Where appropriate, this could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong and immediate action to resolve the problem.

Sometimes we will have to make some enquiries before we can respond to your complaint.  We will give you our decision at Stage one in five working days or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

If we cannot resolve your complaint at this stage, we will explain why and tell you what you can do next.  We might suggest that you take your complaint to Stage two.  You may choose to do this immediately or sometime after you get our initial decision.

Stage two – investigation

Stage two deals with two types of complaint: those that have not been resolved at Stage one and those that are complex and require detailed investigation.

When using Stage two we will:

If our investigation will take longer than 20 working days, we will tell you.  We will agree revised time limits with you and keep you updated on progress.

What if I’m still dissatisfied?

If you are still dissatisfied with our decision or the way in which we have dealt with your complaint when we have sent you our full response, you can ask the SPSO to look at it.

The SPSO cannot normally look at:


You can contact the SPSO:


In Person:                                                          By Post

SPSO                                                    SPSO

4 Melville Street                                     Freepost EH641

Edinburgh                                                          Edinburgh

EH3 7NS                                                           EH3 0BR


Freephone:  0800 377 7330

Online contact


Mobile site:


Getting help to make your complaint

We understand that you may be unable, or reluctant, to make a complaint yourself.  We accept complaints from the representative of a person who is dissatisfied with our service as long as the person has given their permission for us to deal with that person.  We can take complaints from a friend, relative, or an advocate, if you have given them your consent to complain for you.

The Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) is an organisation that provides free and confidential advice and support to patients and other members of the public in relation to NHS Scotland. The service promotes an awareness and understanding of the rights and responsibilities of patients and can advise and support people who wish to make a complaint to the NHS.  Further information and contact details can be found on the PASS web site:    

We are committed to making NHS services easy to use for all members of the community.  In line with our statutory equalities duties, we will always ensure that reasonable adjustments are made to help you to access and use our services. If you have trouble putting your complaint in writing, or want this information in another language or format, tell us in person, contact us on Tel: 0345 337 6338 , email us at

Our contact details

Please contact us by the following means:

Rosemount Dental Clinic, 230 Rosemount Place, Aberdeen, AB25 2XT

Phone; 01224 645247



We can also give you this leaflet in other languages and formats (such as large print, audio and Braille).